Island Studies Journal (ISJ) is a scholarly journal dedicated to the interdisciplinary study of our ‘world of islands'. ISJ encourages cross-disciplinarity for the sake of providing more comprehensive and holistic assessments of the conditions and issues impacting on islands and island life. Its institutional home is the Institute of Island Studies at the University of Prince Edward Island, Canada. All articles published in ISJ are rigorously peer-reviewed.
ISJ is a proud member of the Directory of Open Access Journals and is indexed in Scopus and the Web of Science (Social Sciences Citation Index, Journal Citation Reports/Social Sciences Edition, and Current Contents Connect/ Social and Behavioural Sciences). ISJ is committed to the principles of open access (OA), as outlined in the IFLA Statement on Open Access to Scholarly Literature and Research Documentation. Open access benefits researchers and learners by equalizing access to research information and facilitating scholarly communication.
ISJ is the official journal of the International Small Islands Studies Association (ISISA) (since 2012) and of RETI: The Network of Island Universities (since 2013).
Executive Editor - Adam Grydehøj.
Special section calls for papers:
- Islands of refuge, islands of contagion, ISJ 17(1), May 2020. Editor: May Joseph
- Onwards to island sustainability futures: An exploration of the SDGs on islands, ISJ 17(1), May 2022. Editor: John N. Telesford
- Representing islands – producing islandness: Rethinking identities, mobilities, and relations in island research, ISJ 16(2), November 2021. Editors: Sarah Nimführ & Greca N. Meloni
- Nomadic identities, archipelagic movements, and island diasporas, ISJ 15(2), November 2020. Editor: May Joseph
- Silk Road Archipelagos: Islands in the Belt and Road Initiative, ISJ 15(2), November 2020. Editors: Adam Grydehøj, Sasha Davis, & Huan Zhang
- Between geopolitics and cultural imagination: the Con Dao archipelago, ISJ 15(2), November 2020. Editors: Sophie Fuggle & Kim Phung Dang
Guidelines for Authors
- Submission Instructions and Style Guidelines for Authors
- Acceptance Policy and Publication Ethics
- Instructions for authors of book reviews
Submit your manuscript to be considered for publication in ISJ by sending a .docx file to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure the manuscript consists in original work and conforms with the journal's submission instructions and style guidelines.
ISJ publishes fewer than 40% of the manuscripts that it receives.
The journal editors decide if any manuscript received is to be sent out for review, after a decision is made regarding whether the manuscript meets the journal's remit, high standards, and style format.
Subscribe to the Island Studies Journal Mailing List - exchange ideas and suggestions with other ISJ readers and be informed of any e-mail releases pertaining to the Journal - by following this link here. (Subscription is free.)
Island Studies Journal, Institute of Island Studies, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown PE, Canada C1A 4P3. E-mail: email@example.com
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution: No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported Licence.